Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Week 12: The Trials and Tribulations of a Grad Student Trying to Write a 'Literacy Guide'

This week, we were required to write a 'literacy guide' for whatever population of student learner's we wanted to target.  To me, this was the most confusing and difficult concept to master in this class so far because I had no idea what a 'literacy guide' was, or how to write it, or even Why I was supposed to write it.  Frustrated, angry, upset, I researched the topic for hours - to no avail.  It was only when our professor offered some extra resources and gave me some encouragement that I calmed down, went back to the research, and then, after about two more hours of grueling research, I formulated a plan. 

In the end, I wrote a literacy guide...and I loved it.  I loved not just writing of it, but what I had to say, and the amazing resources I found (a great written piece and a video I starred in the resources section).  

For those still unaware, a 'Literacy Guide' is just an outline for the ideas you value (and want to teach), and how you can help your students (or whomever) go about gaining that knowledge.  We are in a New Media and New Literacies class, so obviously I had to include Research.  Now, I've never been a real stickler about students research skills, but by creating this guide I realized, "Wait! I really need to be clearer with my students about research, and give them more structure for these assignments, and talk about things like plagiarism and how to cite and perform Effective online research."  

Once I realized that a literacy guide is just a tool to help myself plan and structure the ideas that I personally value and want to present (to help my students become 'literate') it all came together.  Now, as we all know, the idea of 'literacy' has changed drastically throughout the years.  To me, 'literacy' is more about resourcefulness, or being able to move through different areas of schooling and life with ease.  I guess it's part information literacy, where "we need to know how to think critically..how to maintain that critical stance, how to employ it, and then how to stay open to new ideas," (1) as well as part transliteracy, or "the ability to read, write and interact across a range of platforms tools, and media from signing to orality through handwriting, print, TV, radio and film, to digital social networks,"(2)  and then maybe a tad of metacognition, or, reflecting on how we think in order to make adjustments and grow. 

For my Literacy Guide, the three topics I chose to focus on were all aspects I felt my 6th grade humanities students could benefit from not just in my class, but throughout their entire lives: collaboration, self-assessment and research.   Collaboration is essential in my class, as students are constantly working on team assignments and collaborative written projects.  In fact, when I identified this as a major aspect of my class, it reminded me a lot of Henry Jenkins and his 'Participatory Culture' exercise where he made all of his students work on a Wikipedia posting, and it helped the students feel empowered and united as a team.   Self-assessment - both for teachers and students - is yet another way we learn and grow.  In fact, it's only when we can be honest with ourselves about our performance as both as individuals and within a group that we can adjust and adapt.  Lastly, I chose research.  At first I felt like I put it in here just to appease my new media and new literacies class, but on reflection I realized just how important it is to research, cite and avoid plagiarism, and that I need to be even more vigilant about teaching my students these essential skills. 

My literacy guide, once created, really stood out to me as something I not only want to give my students at the start of every year, but something I want to constantly add to and reinforce.  It was a great way to collect my thoughts and figure out what I value most about literacy, and despite my initial grumblings, it was truly a beneficial assignment      


Resources:

"Information Transliteracy in the 21st Century." National Louis University.  YouTube video.  Uploaded on 26, January, 2012.  Retrieved at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1JjcmGJb2A&feature=youtu.be

Thomas, Sue, Chris Joseph, Jess Laccetti, Bruce Mason, Simon Mills, Simon Perril and Kate Pulinger. "Transliteracy: Crossing Divides."  What is Transliteracy? First Monday.  3, December.  Retrieved at: http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/2060/1908/

*"Understanding the Importance of Information Literacy." Education News. 25, March, 2013.  Retrieved at: http://www.educationnews.org/uncategorized/understanding-the-importance-of-information-literacy/

*"Information Literacy." Suffolk County Community College.  Web Video. nd.  Retrieved at: http://libguides.sunysuffolk.edu/content.php?pid=215710&sid=1794616

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Nice turnaround on this topic. I agree that these 3 topics are useful in education and work generally. I'm really glad that you chose collaboration, which is so crucial in the work environment. In my long working career I'm trying hard to recall a time when I actually did a major assignment from beginning to end by myself and I can't come up with a single example. So it is rather shocking, in hindsight, that so much of education is assessed on individual rather than group competencies. Fortunately many times at work I was working with teams of people who were very skilled, committed, well educated and basically just clever. But when you are in a team with the less skilled, not motivated and even lazy, that team work can be a real challenge, and then your 'leadership' skills are tested. So my experience when trying to develop teams always ended up with trying to identify leadership skills and to have the members understand that one has to know when and how to lead as much as when and how to follow when you are in a team.

    Thanks again for your insights! M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Josh - that's really awesome that you were able to develop something that you will be able to use for your actual class/students. That's a valuable tool and a great foundation. I really liked your focus on the importance of collaboration. This is becoming more and more of a key component in the classroom when trying to establish an active learning environment. As my son begins visiting colleges, I hear more and more from him about how he wants a college that offers smaller classes, interactive classes, and a strong focus on collaboration. It seems so many colleges are accommodating in this area. One school even showed a sample classroom when the seating was somewhat random - allowing students to move their chairs as needed to interact and work as a team - which in a business program is such a great learning experience,

    Great work!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Josh,

    I feel like our literacy guide journeys were quite similar. I really didn't know where to start either so I decided to create something that was MY OWN with MY OWN spin on what I think is important for MY OWN classroom. By the end, I was proud of what I had created and see it as a useful tool for my classroom. I love your guide. Those three ideas are so important for school and for the real world. I'm going to look in to some of the links you provided for my students as well, especially the research tools. I teach high school seniors who I think could use this type of reinforcement. Thanks Josh!

    ReplyDelete